The Guild of Butchers was established in the City of Durham in 1402.

Records of the Butchers' Company

Reference: DCG 3

Dates of creation: 1579-1845, 1893

Extent: 7 volumes; 4 files (54f)

Records of the Butchers company, formerly known as the Butchers and Fleshers' company are held by Durham University and can be viewed via the Special Collections Catalogue.

Records Summary
[Ordinaries, 1403, 1520]; Ordinances, 1579, 1660-1809.
Minutes, attendance and accounts: 1579, 1615-1717, 1733-1845.
(Formal) accounts: 1619-1630, 1641-1656, 1693-1707.
Apprenticeships: 1603-1839.
Freemen and admissions: undated, 1644-1839.
An index of freemen and apprentice Butchers is not yet available.
Accession history DCG 3/1-8, 10-16: deposited by J. Nelson, warden, 26 November 1966.

DCG 3/9: found among manuscripts for a series of articles on each of the Durham guilds by C.M. Carlton, with records transcripts and notes; deposited by W.A. Bramwell, 1937 (Misc.2002/2003:8), see ADD 1905.

Butchers Company

Warden – John Booth

18 Boundary Close
Ushaw Moor
Durham
DH77FB

Tel: 0191 3733381

Email: john.booth@btinternet.com

Profile

View John Booth's Profile

Related Links


Guide For Wardens